Instagram has quickly become one of my favourite apps. With a range of filters and photo-editing tools that transform even mundane images into cool shots, it’s been my go-to form of sharing pictures with family and friends via social media. Sorry Facebook and Twitter.
As much as I enjoy seeing these gems displayed on my iPhone, I wanted to do something a little more tangible with my masterpieces. Once I saw photo stores were offering square prints based on Instagram sizing, I was inspired to bring my photos to life — using some of my favourite pictures to display as wall art.
What you need:
• Smartphone with Instagram app
• Mod Podge and paintbrush
• 1 canvas 16 X 20 or 12 x 16
• Smartphone with an app, like Typic, to write on images (optional)
1) After you’ve selected the Instragram photos you want to feature, get them printed as 4 x 4 images. Retailers like Black’s now even offer square Instagram prints. OPTIONAL: prior to getting the images printed, use an app, like Typic, that allows you to add text to images so you can write some words on the photos. I added information about where the photos were taken, but you can get creative.
2) Once you’ve picked up your prints, arrange the photos on the canvas in a pleasing order. A total 20 prints in four rows of five photos or 12 images with white space around the pictures fit on a 16 x 20 canvas. A total 12 images fit on a 12 x 16 canvas.
3) When you are happy with the layout of your prints, apply Mod Podge to the canvas and on top of the images to adhere them to the canvas.
4) Let dry overnight. Your Instagram collage is now ready to be displayed.