A two-alarm fire that did $1,000 damage on a 39th floor balcony at the north Minto tower condo near Yonge Stret and Eglinton Avenue was likely started by a discarded cigarette but, Toronto Fire says.
The call came in to the fire service at 8:36 p.m. Sept. 7, with firefighters responding in three minutes, according to Captain Mike Strapko. By 9:14 p.m. the fire, which was in a planter box full of peat, had been put out by use of the fire extinguishers from the building’s 38th and 39th floors.
“Careless smoking is deemed to be the cause,” Strapko said. “I don’t know if it came from that particular apartment or if someone flicked it from somewhere else.”
At the height of the call there were 12 trucks and 45 firefighters, which is standard for a two-alarm fire. There were no injuries.
About this article: