City council grant keeps Cabbagetown centre going
Local parents happy city gives centre $161,000 to keep youth centre from closing
Cabbagetown residents have been happy to learn Toronto city council has given its youth centre a $161,000 grant.
“It’s a miracle,” said one resident whose child use uses Cabbagetown Youth Centre. “The support the centre is getting from the city council to keep it open is beyond anything I thought would happen.”
Emma, who didn’t want to give her last name, said she has taken her son to the basketball program at the centre for the past three years.
“It’s not only about the training but most importantly my son has found a sport that he really loves and I’m thankful for the centre — it’s his passion now,” she said.
The centre runs programs including soccer, basketball, and boxing for girls and boys age 8 to 17.
Council voted 25-0 to give the Cabbagetown Youth Centre a $161,000 grant on Feb. 19.
Centre staff and political representatives, including Mayor John Tory and Toronto-Centre councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, had been warning since November 2019 the 48-year-old centre would have to shut down without new funding.
Despite the grant, the centre is still raising funds for its programs, executive director Lucy Troisi said in an interview.
“We encourage people to visit our website and donate on our GoFundMe account,” she said.
The GoFundMe page is headed “Save CYC’s After 4 School Program.” It seems to have struck a chord with parents as it has already raised more than half its stated goal of $30,000.
“This centre has really helped kids stay active and find something that they really love,” Troisi said.
About this article: