Condo project protest dropped

Residents groups end fight over Neon development after 'fixing a typo'

Construction will start soon on the controversial 20-storey Neon condo at the corner of Duplex and Orchard Avenues, after residents withdrew their objections at an Ontario Municipal Board hearing.

In early August, a collection of residents groups took developer Orchard View Holdings to the Ontario Municipal Board to fight the city-approved building, but withdrew their case on the second day of the hearing.

Area resident Terry Mills told the Town Crier that a settlement had been reached after minor changes were made to the bylaw affecting the development, but did not provide further details.

Soon after the appeal was withdrawn, Mills shut down his website that protested the building.

Residents had voiced concerns about the height and width of building because it blocks available sunlight.

The developer had argued that the building met city criteria and was in an area where other large buildings exist.

The building will be located behind the RioCan centre at Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue.

The changes amounted to fixing a typo, said city lawyer Sarah O’Connor and will have no impact on the height and scale of the building.


About this article:

By: Alexandra Bosanac
Posted: Aug 30 2011 6:51 pm
Filed in: NEWS
Edition: Toronto
Tagged: