Ford warned of possible protest, says neighbour

Edenbridge Drive resident says mayor called her husband to give them the heads-up on protest that never took place

One of Rob Ford’s neighbours says the mayor called to alert her family to a possible protest on their street — but one never materialized.

Edenbridge Drive resident Mary DiCecco said Ford personally phoned her home last week and spoke with her husband. Ford indicated that he had been made aware of a possible protest outside his Edenbridge Drive home that was to take place sometime during the weekend of May 12–13, she said.

According to DiCecco, Ford apologized to her husband for “what’s been going on”, presumably referring to the recent spotlight on the neighbourhood.

DiCecco said the mayor added: “I know it’s been a drag.”

Standing at her door, DiCecco mentioned the mayoral phone call during a Town Crier canvass of the neighbourhood to gauge community reaction to the attention the mayor’s street regularly garners.

Generally, neighbours expressed support for the politician, who has lived in the area for many years.

Ford’s press secretary George Christopoulos said he was unaware of any anticipated street protest and had no knowledge of the mayor calling residents personally to alert them of a protest.

Requests for an interview with Ford went unanswered by press time.

Calls to 22 Division, which polices Edenbridge Drive, were referred to the Toronto Police communications department.

Spokesperson Constable Wendy Drummond said as a general rule of practice, police can’t confirm anything that “may or may not have been planned.”

Area councillor Gloria Lindsay Luby said she hadn’t heard anything about a protest on Edenbridge.

Though nothing transpired, DiCecco said she appreciated the call.

“I thought it was really nice because he’s a busy man, to say the least.”


About this article:

By: Karolyn Coorsh
Posted: May 16 2012 4:45 pm
Filed in: NEWS
Edition: Toronto
Tagged: