Toronto has responded to the high number of pedestrian and cyclist deaths by installing 50 photo radar units on local streets, mostly close to schools and parks, to cut down on speeding.
Installation of speed enforcement cameras began in December. So far 16 have been placed in East York, 12 in North York, 12 in Scarborough, and 10 in Etobicoke-York. The majority of these areas contain schools, bike lanes, and roads where drivers commonly speed.
Some drivers have already received notices of violation picked up by the Automated Speed Enforcement system.
“I was driving in the area, I went 10 over the speed limit, then a week later I got a warning letter from ASE stating I went over the limit and also had a picture of my car in the letter,” says Jessica, 41, who didn’t want to give her last name.
A resident in the East York area, she got caught speeding on Huron Street near Bernard Avenue, but sent only a warning letter.
“I’m thankful of not getting demerit points or even a fine,” she says. “I definitely won’t be making that mistake again. I can guarantee you that.”
The penalty for car owners caught speeding where cameras have been placed are $21 for going one km/h over the posted speed limit to a minimum of $1,105 for 50 km/h or more.
Photo radar was previously introduced in 1990 but was later scrapped by the Mike Harris provincial government.
As of now photo radars are not on any highways but, according to ASE, highway placement is being discussed to prevent fatalities.
Here are locations for photo radar in some of our Streeter communities so far:
- Morse Street between Queen Street and Eastern Avenue
- Huron Street between Bernard and Lowther avenues
- Lippincott Street between Vankoughnet Street and College Street
- Manning Avenue between Dundas Street West and Robinson Street
- Prospect Street between Rose Avenue and Ontario Street
- Spruce Street between Gifford Street and Nasmith Avenue
- Gateway Boulevard between Don Mills Road (south Intersection) and Grenoble Drive
- Ness Drive between York Mills Road and Lynedock Crescent
Forest Hill area
- Atlas Avenue between Ava Road and Belvedere Avenue
- Ridge Hill Drive between Old Park Road and Glenarden Road
- Ranleigh Avenue between Yonge Street and Mount Pleasant Road
- Bessborough Drive between Field Avenue and Sharron Drive
- Brownlow Avenue between Eglinton Avenue East and Soudan Avenue
- Lillian Street between Abitibi Avenue and Otonabee Avenue
- Barrington Avenue between Balfour Avenue and Doncaster Avenue
- Chatham Avenue between Jones and Euston avenues
- Gower Street between Cedarcrest Boulevard and Dawes Road