SIU investigating after man ‘in crisis’ shot by police

Investigation of an altercation between Toronto police officers and a “person in crisis” in Davisville has been turned over to the police watchdog after the 28-year-old man died.

The man had been shot by police in the hallway of a condominium building yesterday evening at Yonge and Merton streets, after he had allegedly stabbed an officer with knife.

Police were called to the scene at about 8:30 p.m. to assist them with a man in “mental distress,” according to Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit, which has taken over the case.

Story continues after ad

The SIU investigates incidents involving police in which death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault have taken place.

Toronto Police first reported the incident on Twitter at 9:47 p.m.

In a message headed “Person in crisis,” police said they received reports of a man attacking a woman with a knife and when police arrived the man attacked a officer with a knife.

This was followed by “reports of a firearm discharge” and two men, including an injured officer, being taken to hospital.

Preliminary account

In a news release on May 23, the SIU laid out the sequence of events, based on “preliminary information,” as follows:

  • At about 8:30 p.m. on May 22, ambulance personnel called police to¬† 1815 Yonge St. for assistance with a man “in mental distress.”
  • Officers made their way to the third floor where they encountered a man with a knife in the hallway.
  • The man approached and began stabbing an officer.
  • That officer and a second officer discharged their conducted energy weapons (tasers) at the man.
  • When this had no effect, the second officer fired his gun one time at the man.
  • The wounded man was taken to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.

The officer who had been stabbed and three other officers were also taken to hospital, the SIU statement said.

Three SIU investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to the case.

One subject official and four witness officials have been designated, the SIU said.

A post-mortem was scheduled for May 23 afternoon in Toronto.