In the early 1900s, when the above photo was taken, Oulcott’s Hotel stood at the northwest corner of what is now Yonge Street and Helendale Avenue.
The hotel had been built in 1883 by hotelier James Oulcott, on the site of the former Montgomery Tavern, which had figured largely in the Rebellion of 1837.
The hotel was later remodelled and used as postal station from 1914 until 1936 when it was demolished and replaced by the well-known two-storey Art Deco post office on the west side of Yonge between Helendale and Montgomery avenues.
Another three-quarters of a century later, a tall condo building, incorporating that landmark structure, is rising on that corner.
About this article: